This fresh, homemade hemp milk recipe is a wonderfully delicious and healthy drink that you can enjoy every day as part of your regular diet. It contains protein and good fats and has a delightfully wholesome and nutty flavour.
Please don’t think it’s just for drinking on its own though! It’s extremely tasty when poured on breakfast cereal, on porridge oats, in smoothies, in chai tea, in chia puddings, pancakes and in baked goods – the list goes on.
Making it yourself is so fast and simple and you only need a few ingredients and a good ol’ blender. So let’s hit it!
What you will need
- 100g hulled hemp seeds (find them in our shop!)
- 500ml water (filtered or spring is best)
- 1 tbsp of our hemp honey or maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
- Pinch of cinnamon and/or salt to season (optional)
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder to thicken (optional)
- Blender (Nutribullet and Ninja style work great)
- Glass jug or bottle with a lid
- Cheese cloth or purpose made nut milk bag (optional)
Things to note before you begin
We recommend using hulled hemp seeds for this recipe – that’s hemp seeds with the shells already removed. While you can certainly use whole hemp seeds with the shell on, you’ll want to strain your hemp milk with cheese cloth or a nut milk bag so you’re not drinking bits of shell. (No one likes crunchy milk.)
The optional sweetening and spicing ingredients like the honey, salt and cinnamon are dependent on your personal tastes. If you’re craving hemp milk that’s more like what you might purchase in a shop, add the salt/spice/sweetener. If you’re seeking a pared back, au naturale version, leave them out. Experiment with the flavours and have fun with it.
Hemp seeds are vegan friendly, soy free and gluten free so this is a great recipe for those dietary requirements. However, while hemp seeds themselves don’t usually trigger allergies, they are often processed on the same equipment as nuts or foods that contain gluten. So if you have severe allergies or reactions to those things then that’s something to keep in mind.
- Combine ingredients 1 through 5 in your blender AND…… hit blend.
- Continue blending for about 45-60 seconds to get those hemp seeds as finely ground as you can.
- Pour into your jug and leave in the fridge to chill. (Hemp milk tastes best when it’s chilled.)
- While it sits, some hemp seed sediment will gather in the bottom of your jug. That’s ok! Just give the jug a good shake to mix those yummy bits in before serving. If you prefer it smooth, you can strain through a nut milk bag like I’m doing here. If you used whole hemp seeds with the shell on – then you will definitely want to strain your hemp milk.
And there you have it hemp fanatics – fresh yummy, homemade hemp seed milk. Remember to give it a good shake before serving and be sure to store it in your fridge. Since there are no preservatives, you will want to consume within 5 days but I can almost guarantee that won’t be a problem. (I’ve been known to down the whole batch in a day. You can see I was well on my way to polishing it off when i took this photo.)
SHOP THE INGREDIENTS