I’m excited to share this very yummy Harvest Hemp Granola recipe with you today. But first, I just have to exclaim – what an absolutely GORGEOUS autumn we’re having here in Western Australia! I simply can’t get enough of this weather. Sunny, breezy, low 20s. It has been perfect conditions for the amazing team helping out with the hemp harvest this year.
Harvest takes place in mid to late May when the Total Hemp Co. cannabis trees are at maturity. Our hemp farm isn’t huge compared to some, but each year we get a good crew together for a week or two of harvesting. Getting a solid, nutritious base down at breakfast, lunch and dinner is important to support those long days in the field.
I crafted this harvest hemp granola recipe to provide a filling mix of carbs, protein and healthy fats for sustained energy while the team does their thing. The warming blend of spices and burst of ripe orange zest herald in the colder weather, reminding us of what cosy nights by the fire should taste and smell like. It’s nice served on its own as little chewy, crispy granola bites on the go, or enjoyed in a bowl with some cool, refreshing Homemade Hemp Milk!
Harvest Hemp Granola Recipe
To make a large batch of Harvest Hemp Granola you will need the following ingredients and baking equipment. If you want a smaller batch say just for 1 or 2 people, you can simply halve the ingredients.
- 4 cups of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 generous tbsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup dates, chopped as fine as you can get them
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Scant ½ cup happy hemp bee honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup hemp seed oil
*Tips: I encourage you to try this recipe with our Total Hemp Co. hemp seeds, hemp seed oil and honey. I’ve tried it with hemp seeds and honey that came from the supermarket and it wasn’t as nice. I promise it’s not just my bias speaking! And do not omit the orange zest – it’s a hero ingredient. It ties the whole recipe together. You can however pull back on the salt a bit if you like to keep the salt content of your food low.
- Large baking tray
- Baking paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Microwave safe pouring jug
- Measuring cup and measuring spoons
- Citrus zester or small cheese grater
- Preheat your oven to 170 °C / 338 °F and line your baking sheet with baking paper.
- In the large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients – oats, hemp seeds, pecans, pepitas, spices, and salt. Mix well.
- Add in the orange zest and chopped dates. Again, mix well. I scrub my hands clean and get right in the there with my mitts, smushing the dates into the oats. The more you can incorporate them, the better.
- In a glass Pyrex or other microwave safe pouring jug, measure out your honey and coconut oil. If they’re a bit solid (as they may be in winter) put them in the microwave for a few seconds until soft and stirrable.
- Add the other wet ingredients – vanilla & hemp seed oil
- Pour over the dry mixture in the bowl and stir with a big spoon or with your hands. Don’t be afraid to get a bit messy. It’s fun!
- Once everything is thoroughly mixed, press it into the pan lined with baking paper and place it in the over for about 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Once baked golden, remove and allow it to cool completely. Afterwards, break it into bite sized chunks and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
*Tip: When baking, check it regularly. DO NOT over bake. If the oats get even slightly burned it ruins the taste of the whole batch. If any bits on the edges get burned, discard them. Don’t mix them in.
Doesn’t it look tasty? I’ve been dreaming about it and can’t wait to make it again. Enjoy!
SHOP THE INGREDIENTS